Thursday, May 13, 2010

My little Lamb - Ewe Yang

♥♥♥
Hello Life. Where have you been?  Two whole months have passed and hardly no sewing at all.  I have been incredibly busy and been on bit of a roller-coaster ride emotionally.

It all started a couple of months ago when my husband brought home a little lamb that he found on the road driving in the You Yangs (mountains/bush land near where we live).  It was only a day old or so, still covered in afterbirth, but no mother to be found.  He went to the nearest house and asked if they might know who owned it, they didn't.  In the end he decided to bring the lamb home or else it would die.

 
For me, being more of a city chic than farm girl, grown up in the suburbs of Stockholm in Sweden, I had never even seen a lamb up close.  Well, it was love at first sight!  We decided to name her Ewe Yang, as she was found in the You Yangs.


The first few weeks we had her sleeping in our guest bathroom at night and outside during the day.  As she grew bigger we started to let her sleep outside in a little yard we have set up for our dogs normally.

Then, one Saturday morning, I found her dead in her yard with a bloated stomach.  We later learned that this is often the case if an orphaned lamb if it doesn't get the mother's colostrum in the first few days of life.  It was so sad, the kids and I were beside ourselves because we all just loved little Ewe Yang to bits, she brought us so much laughter in those few weeks she spent with us.  I still feel so sad thinking about her, yet cherish the memories.

These photos were taking of Ewe Yang two days before she died and I am so thankful I had the camera out that day!

DSC03567 DSC03551

R.I.P Ewe Yang - We ♥ Ewe

DSC03562_2

♥♥♥