Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Liam's Creations

One day when my oldest son was six years old, he asked me if he could sew something. I asked him what he wanted to make, and he said, A Quilt. I tried to explain that he was a little too young probably and that it's pretty hard to do, but he nagged and nagged until I gave in. This is the result:
Liam's Quilt Finished 2
Liam's Quilt Finished 3
Liam completed all the blocks by himself, he sewed them on my machine and pressed each piece afterwards. I helped cutting the blocks into 10" blocks and then he stitched the red strips. I did the quilting & stippling.

Here Liam is sewing pot holders for this grandparents for Christmas, now aged 7 and this is how they turned out:
Pot Holders made by Liam aged 7

8 comments:

  1. Liam's quilt is wonderful. I love the pot holders too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a little quilting savant!!!
    Amazing work! He should be very proud. (You too, of course)
    Thanks for linking to my blog. It helped me to find yours and now I will link right back.
    Andi :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great! I may see if my daughter wants to try some like these. She's been sewing 4-patch blocks but refuses to believe that even seam allowances will be important later. I like how your son sewed blocks and you cut them to size; that would work for us I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, yes, kids can do this, it's really easy! Liam doesn't care much about seam allowances either, but it doesn't matter! I rather he has fun and later in life worry about all the "rules". It's really good for their motor skills too, you know, stop start and co-ordinate brain, foot and hands! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg! that came from a first grader! a tru sewing savant indeed! i know i'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Han är jätteduktig! Han har ju talang för det där. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tack Vildkatten, jo, han är duktig, hela familjen slåss om hans filt! Man blir så glad av att bara titta på den.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Liam. You are a champion!

    ReplyDelete